Freya, continued (and more!)

Okay, it’s most likely time for an update.

Due to a miscommunication between myself and Beatty (the guy handling my tech stuff), Freya was (obviously) delayed. Let me assure you that the miscommunication was entirely on my end, just to clear Beatty of his good name. This was mostly (okay, entirely) because I’d sent it to him and said, “This story is 99% complete,” and promised the other 1% soon, followed by a period of dragging my feet.

So! Final copy has been sent in. I finally managed to get that one last percent done and now it stands complete at 14,400 words. I say “complete,” but my brain keeps itching for me to do one last edit. I’m trying to squash that urge and just leave the story be. I hope it’s ready. I think it’s ready.

Deep breath.

I do have a few other scenarios in mind for Freya’s world, even if they don’t include her as a main character. Maybe an occasional supporting character, and she definitely has possibilities to be a perspective character in later works.

I want to explore storylines in that setting with a much more aggressive tone. I may also begin work on “Convoy,” the original story (never completed) that gave me the first ideas for that post-apocalyptic world. If I do start with that one, I know that it’s going to be more of an . . . Well, I guess it’s almost a detective story. Of sorts. That idea needs work.

Now for the “and more!”

Although I’m wanting to start work on another short story, I have put down a few thousand words of what I’m hoping to be my first novel, Soulless. I’m not going to spoil too much yet, but it is going to be a one-shot fantasy novel. The draft so far is very rough, but I feel that it’s going somewhere solid. There is a diamond somewhere in the rough. I know where the story begins and ends, and I won’t drag it out too far. I’m really expecting it to be done in under 100,000 words if it makes it past 80,000.

Needless to say, I’m excited with the idea of working on a novel (with intent to actually finish one for once). When I first had the idea for the story, I never knew just how much research I would have to do into astronomy. I still don’t know every single detail (and I’m sure I’ll be corrected sooner or later), but I think I’ve got some interesting concepts to explore with a world tidally-locked to a moon. I’m also glad that I put the story off a little before starting, or I wouldn’t have thought to include the concept of seasons with daily eclipses.

Also I’m proud of the magic system, but I’ll leave that for later.

Okay, I think that wraps up everything I need to say for now. More ideas are sloshing around in my head, and I promise I’m working on getting them onto paper. E-paper?

Again, “Freya” should be up for sale shortly. “Soon.”

-Brad

Advertisements

About Brad

I'm a writer and feel like it's finally time to get my stuff out there. I'll try to learn how to keep you guys entertained. Hope you enjoy!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s