Those of you who keep up with me have been quite patient, reading through these posts as I talk about future projects, but with no concrete evidence. I’m still (definitely) working on Soulless, but I think that makes me drag my feet with “Siren” a little. “Siren” is complete and will be ready for publication after a few more edits and some content addition/subtractions. I want it to be Amazon-ready in the first half of October, but I may be overly cautious. The most difficult part of self-publishing seems to be self-editing. The stories come readily enough, but I worry that I’m not telling them the right way. With time, I hope to drown that paranoia. This is what I want to do with my life, and I’m determined.
I’ve gotten feedback, and I’m trying to address the most immediate issues. First and foremost seems to be overcoming the passivity of using the word “had” at least once in each paragraph in first drafts. Difficult to overcome because my speech usually has a near-backwards quality to it, and that leaks into my mind which spreads onto paper. It’s hard to work around at times, but easier when people point it out.
Anni, Katie, Michael, thanks for putting up with me and my draft-spam. Everyone else, thanks for putting up with me and my blog posts. I want to make these things worth your while and hope to have enough quality content soon to support them.
With that said, I’ve decided to post a snippet of “Siren” here, the first bit that I have edited (and, luckily, the beginning of the story). Even this segment may not be a final draft, but I’m comfortable enough to let you guys read. I hope you enjoy!